deleonjh (deleonjh) wrote in linguaphiles,

Chinese salute

Hi, I'd like to know what the meaning is of the name for the Chinese salute known as zuoyi (作揖). Or is it a proper noun and as such has no specific meaning? I only copied the Chinese writing from Wikipedia so I don't know if it's accurate; the salute I'm referring to is when someone folds one hand over their fist and holds their forearms upright in front of them. See the picture for what I mean. Also, if anyone out there knows what variants are used for which situations I'd gladly like to know.

Chinese salute
Tags: chinese

  • Write pinyin?

    Do you know how to write pinyin on the computer with the correct tone marks? When I google it, I find a lot of explanations of how to write Chinese…

  • Chinese

    Can somebody translate what is written on these ginger jars into English please? Thank you.

  • Translation for Maybe Japanese?

    Hello linguaphiles! My in-laws recently gifted us with a folding screen, which has a cherry blossom design and some writing in what I'm guessing…

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded