Mary Haas's IPA transcription
In my "linguistics for teachers of foreign languages" class, my professor is using IPA transcriptions that I am not familiar with for California English vowel sounds. For instance, the word "bay" is transcribed as [bey]. I would normally transcribe this as [beɪ]. Another example: for "go", she has it transcribed it as [gow], where I would transcribe this as [goʊ].
In her class notes my professor credits her IPA transcriptions to Mary Haas. I looked Mary Haas up, and apparently she is quite famous for creating a kind of alternative IPA for the Thai language. What I can't figure out is why my professor would use this alternative system to transcribe English instead of standard IPA. Any thoughts?
In her class notes my professor credits her IPA transcriptions to Mary Haas. I looked Mary Haas up, and apparently she is quite famous for creating a kind of alternative IPA for the Thai language. What I can't figure out is why my professor would use this alternative system to transcribe English instead of standard IPA. Any thoughts?
