Joseph (bonsly) wrote in linguaphiles,

Yes, but what is it called?

To a certain extent, I understand why Spanish speakers who learn English later in life add an "E" to words that start with an "S;" is there a specific linguist term as to why this happens?

I was reminded of this because as I rode along in the car with my dad, listening to a Spanish radio station, the guy advertising the new "Spicy Chicken Sandwich," from MacDo said it like:

"El nuevo ESPICY Chicken Sandwich."

And, let me see if I can articulate this question: What are other non-native English speakers who do this as well, where they add/take off extra letter(s) (as if fitting it to their language) when speaking English to ease the pronunciation?

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded