tsubasa_en11 wrote in linguaphiles 🙂awake


Hi guys. I need to write an essay for my linguistic class and the content is as below: 

Write an essay stating what you know about any language family in the world. This could be a major family, such as Indo-European, Austronesia or Austro-Asiatic, or it could be a subfamily, such as Romance, Sinitic or Germanic. Your essay should contain the following information:

a.) The names of the major languages and/or subfamilies which constitute the family;
b.) An account of subgrouping in the family, and alternate hypotheses, if there are any;
c.) A typological classification of the language concerned;
d.) A description of the important phonological and syntactic features found in the proto language.





The languages I would like to do already have a lot of people working on. Since the mark of this assignment is rather high, I'd like to come out with a rare language that not many people would do. Can you guys give some suggestions on a language that's relatively easy to write based on the information above even though I've no basic knowledge about it? I know this is somehow stupid to choose a language you don't know to write about the typology and phonology and so on, but i thought linguistics is different from language. I stand for corrected, though.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch in advance!

ETA: I forgot to mention what languages have been chosen. Thanks for mentioning it. The languages which were already chosen are English, French, German, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese..hmm, i think currently is all these. I'm wondering if Dutch is difficult to understand.