Whodunnit? (oh_meow) wrote in linguaphiles,

Knitting vocab

A finnish friend of mine was complaining how hard knitting patterns are to follow in English, they use loads of special knitting only words, abbreviated as much as possible, like some kind of code. Knitting patterns I have seen in French and Hungarian were much more logical, more like normal instructions than a secret code, and with less jargon.

What are the words in different languages for:

Knit (stitch) - standard stitch where the wool comes from the back of the knitting?
Purl (stitch) - when you turn the knitting over and the wool hangs at the front ?
Ribbing- where you alternate knitting and purling to create ridges, like on the cuff of a jumper?

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded