teaching abroad in asia
thanks everyone for helping me out on my spanish, re: my previous posting. :)
I was discussing the whole 'what am i going to do next with my life' thing with my Mom, and I'm looking into programs for teaching abroad in asia, which i hope to do starting jan. or feb. of 2009. I'm trying to decide where to go, and my decision i think, will largely be based on which East Asian language I'm most wanting to learn. I've asked questions regarding this before, but I'd like to get some more perspective on this: especially as of recently.
I've narrowed it down to either China, Japan, or Korea, and I'm not sure I can handle the Japanese language as the difficulty with the grammar and three writing systems overwhelms me. I'm somewhat musically inclined, so Chinese appealed to me for that reason, but of course, the trade-off is, simpler grammar for more difficult pronunciation/tones. Then there's Korean, which intrigues me only because it seems to be somewhat of a mystery. But it seems like the Korean language is starting to spread more rapidly in various urban areas in the US, so perhaps this would be useful to know, also. And learning to read/write in Hangul I'm guessing is much easier than learning any other East Asian system of writing!
Any thoughts, please share them with me :) also if you've taught abroad in the past or are also considering it, I'd love to hear from you as well!
I was discussing the whole 'what am i going to do next with my life' thing with my Mom, and I'm looking into programs for teaching abroad in asia, which i hope to do starting jan. or feb. of 2009. I'm trying to decide where to go, and my decision i think, will largely be based on which East Asian language I'm most wanting to learn. I've asked questions regarding this before, but I'd like to get some more perspective on this: especially as of recently.
I've narrowed it down to either China, Japan, or Korea, and I'm not sure I can handle the Japanese language as the difficulty with the grammar and three writing systems overwhelms me. I'm somewhat musically inclined, so Chinese appealed to me for that reason, but of course, the trade-off is, simpler grammar for more difficult pronunciation/tones. Then there's Korean, which intrigues me only because it seems to be somewhat of a mystery. But it seems like the Korean language is starting to spread more rapidly in various urban areas in the US, so perhaps this would be useful to know, also. And learning to read/write in Hangul I'm guessing is much easier than learning any other East Asian system of writing!
Any thoughts, please share them with me :) also if you've taught abroad in the past or are also considering it, I'd love to hear from you as well!
