summer (rumball107) wrote in linguaphiles,

is there a word for...

I was trying to get to the website for 88.5 WXPN, a radio station in the Philadelphia area.  The website is, but I accidentally typed in, as I'm sure many other people do as well.  The "dot com" brings up one of those filler pages (complete with worthless links to various topical categories), seemingly designed specifically for people who make the same mistake as I did.

I've come across these types of pages too, in error, while typing too quickly and transversing letters (or putting too many ooo's in Google  Most of these webpages have banners across the top that read "Your Home on the Net", "What You Need, When You Need It" or "Your Information Portal" & feature some generic looking guy or gal engaging in daily life.

Here's my question: is there a WORD for these types of pages?  I've been calling them filler pages, for convenience's sake.  But does a real, descriptive word exist? 

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded