Paul Baptist (kaji_sensei) wrote in linguaphiles,
Paul Baptist

  • Mood:

Phonology question

Is there a term for phonemes that are allophones in some cases, and distinct phonemes in others? Using Japanese as an example, /b/ and /v/ are strict allophones, however /f/ is distinct from /h/, and yet it blends sometimes (e.g. coffee = koohii), and I've heard one or two cases where someone singing in Japanese seems to have changed an h into an f. Maybe I just wasn't paying close enough attention, perhaps.

Even if my example is somewhat bad though, is there a name for this phenomenon, or would they be technically considered distinct phonemes since there are times where they create semantic differences?

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded