Loanwords in Japanese - linguistic study
hi,
sorry to those of you who see this twice. I am supposed to give a lecture on loanwords in Japanese, tentatively with a focus on English loanwords, but possibly also loanwords from Chinese. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some good (online) sources on this matter, specifically sources with a LINGUISTIC approach. For example, analyses of phonological reasons for word conversions, etc. I'm also open to interesting materials with a more general approach, of course.
I don't speak Japanese, but most of my audience does (isn't that ironic? but there ya go). So sources in Japanese won't do me much good. However if I end up focussing on loanwords from Chinese it's okay for me to read sources that contain Kanji/ hanzi since I know Chinese.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)
sorry to those of you who see this twice. I am supposed to give a lecture on loanwords in Japanese, tentatively with a focus on English loanwords, but possibly also loanwords from Chinese. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some good (online) sources on this matter, specifically sources with a LINGUISTIC approach. For example, analyses of phonological reasons for word conversions, etc. I'm also open to interesting materials with a more general approach, of course.
I don't speak Japanese, but most of my audience does (isn't that ironic? but there ya go). So sources in Japanese won't do me much good. However if I end up focussing on loanwords from Chinese it's okay for me to read sources that contain Kanji/ hanzi since I know Chinese.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)
