1) What do you call the kind of sandwich that is served on a long, narrow bun, sold nationally by such chains as Quizno's?
2) What do you call a retail establishment that engages in the sale of liquor? (They may also sell beer and/or wine, but the place you go to specifically to buy liquor.)
3) What do you call the government agency that issues driver's licenses? If it is not the same, what do you call the agency that issues license plates?
4) What do you call the road that runs alongside an interstate or other limited-access highway?
5) What do you call carbonated soft drinks, when speaking generally?
If you could also include where you grew up and anywhere else that would exert a significant influence on your thought or speech patterns, that would be appreciated :).
(For the curious, I'll be posting my own answers in a comment.)