know english, german, and a bit of latin?
My husband and I almost never fight, but we got into the silliest argument regarding the word 'quasi.'
He is a native German speaker, I am a native English speaker, and neither of us has studied linguistics or Latin to a large degree (but a bit).
We were watching German TV and a woman said something I didn't like, perhaps 'Ich trinke quasi immer nur Rotwein.' I complained that 'quasi' was like 'sorta' and 'immer' is like 'always.'
Sorta always? That's what it sounded like to me. I protested.
My husband was, however, more in favor of the 'similar to' or 'like' version. Maybe like 'I drink almost always red wine.'
I am not a great German speaker; he is prolly right as to what it means in German.
However, my problem was that it didn't match to well with the original Latin. I was trying to say we should try to stick with the original Latin meaning. Then the fight sorta became about which language (German or English) is better at not distorting other languages, and I maintained that English has a truer usage of 'quasi' than German.
Opinions please!
He is a native German speaker, I am a native English speaker, and neither of us has studied linguistics or Latin to a large degree (but a bit).
We were watching German TV and a woman said something I didn't like, perhaps 'Ich trinke quasi immer nur Rotwein.' I complained that 'quasi' was like 'sorta' and 'immer' is like 'always.'
Sorta always? That's what it sounded like to me. I protested.
My husband was, however, more in favor of the 'similar to' or 'like' version. Maybe like 'I drink almost always red wine.'
I am not a great German speaker; he is prolly right as to what it means in German.
However, my problem was that it didn't match to well with the original Latin. I was trying to say we should try to stick with the original Latin meaning. Then the fight sorta became about which language (German or English) is better at not distorting other languages, and I maintained that English has a truer usage of 'quasi' than German.
Opinions please!
