April 20th, 2012

Rocky Field


Living here, south of Seattle, I truly enjoy my Internet Radio!

I was listening to BBC Raido 4 today; Inspector Ghote's First Case, by H.R.F. Keating, when two words caught my attention.

In the south, when I was "very young", if you were behind the horse and plow, you hollered "Gee" and "Haw" to tell the horse to move left or right.

Today, Inspector Ghote (of the Bombay Police), was questioning a servant who replied to the Inspector's questions with something that sounded like "gee-haw"...

Anyone tell me what he was saying?

Thanks much.
бобры, бобр, бобер

Your favourite term for a cooker

Dear Americans and Britons, what word do you most often use for a cooker? Thank you.
I mean this
1) 'British 1. an appliance used for cooking food, typically consisting of an oven, hob, and grill and powered by gas or electricity. ' (oxforddictionaries)
2) (British) - a large piece of kitchen equipment that is used for cooking. The American word is stove (macmillandictionary)