March 3rd, 2009


(no subject)

I'm watching RuPaul's "Drag Race" on Logo, which is like the trainwreck you can't take your eyes off of, but one of the girls just asked one of the other girls, "Could you borrow me some?" She was referring to dark foundation.  I know her meaning was "Could you lend me some?"

Is this a regional thing? I think the girl in question has a Hispanic background, but I don't think that's it.  It's not a common phrase here on Long Island. Is it where you're from?

Help with English Grammar?

I'm proofreading a document but obviously I'm not up to the task.

Which is grammatically correct:

"more delicate a situation" or "a more delicate situation"?

ETA: Thanks everybody! Especially for answering so fast! =D I have five pages left, so I'll edit this post if I have more questions.

ETA2: Okay, this is not exactly grammar but... How do I say that something won't be written about more deeply in the text? The sentence is: "The law X is not  ________ more in the report because it is not so essential."

Name pronunciation help

Greetings, fellow language dorks!

I'm giving a brief presentation in class tomorrow on an article by someone named Haris Exertzoglou. Could someone let me know where this name comes from (Greece or Turkey are my guesses), if this author is likely male or female, and approximately how to pronounce their name? I just don't want to butcher it completely.

Orinoco womble

Here's one I made earlier

I saw a tv show the other day about the history of Blue Peter. If you're not familiar with it, it's a kids magazine tv show from the UK, unrelentingly wholesome, with bits about caring for pets, humanitarian issues, music, cooking, celebrity interviews and craft projects.

The craft projects are the most famous, they're usually made out of recycled household packaging and sticky-backed plastic (contact paper to americans I think?). The BBC has a policy of not showing any brand names on children's shows, so Action Man/GI Joe became "your soldier doll", cereal packets had the brand covered up, etc. According to the documentary, most people originally called the sticky-backed plastic after the trademark, Fablon, until Blue Peter made the generic term more popular, and two dictionaries have claimed the same. My mum (in her 50s) still calls the stuff Fablon and seems to think it's expensive, but to me it's always been sticky-backed plastic (and available from Poundland).

UK people, what do you call the stuff? (Particularly older people) Did you ever call it Fablon and changed to sticky-backed plastic, or have you always called it the same name?