July 5th, 2008

shadow tea?

Cyrillic Handwriting

Hi all,
Pardon me if this question is sort of basic/should be obvious, but I'm really quite ignorant:

When people write by hand in Cyrillic, what form of the alphabet do they often use? I know that there is the block print Cyrillic used on computers, and that there is a Cyrillic cursive. However, is this cursive only used occasionally, or by preference, as it is with the Roman alphabet? If Cyrillic has a handwritten print variety, does it differ considerably from the type used in printed materials?

Also--does anyone know where I might find materials for learning how to write Cyrillic handwriting [for free]? A simple Google search has not proven helpful at all, and I'm sort of surprised that it would be more elusive than that. Maybe I just haven't been searching the right terms.

In any case, thanks in advance for any help! :]
  • Current Mood
    curious curious

Unicode-compatible Glagolitic fonts?

Bit of an odd request, but hey.

I've been doing some researching on Old Church Slavonic and in the process found out that my catalog of fonts does not cover the Glagolitic block of Unicode code points. Suffice to say it bugs me no end when I know there are characters that won't appear properly, and have gone out of my way to find some obscure stuff before. This one, however, is proving a shade elusive for some reason; I've found a few that looked like hits but don't register at the right code points for some reason.

Figured I'd throw a shot in the dark — does anybody know where to find a (preferably free, though if not then so be it) Glagolitic font that will display correctly?

Also, in trade, I can help with anyone having trouble with Chữ Nôm characters...

(crossposted to fontaddicts)

in search of a word

There's a house in my neighborhood that has a very interesting fence design, they've worked a word into it. And it's been driving me nuts because I can't read it. I was wondering if someone could tell me what language it's in and maybe what it means.
Collapse )
Mad Hatter
  • cexy

My cousin and I have been wondering this for a while...

In Mexico when something is really confusing and you don't understand a single word people say "está en Chino". I think I read somewhere "it's all Greek to me" but I don't know what that means so I figured it would be something like "está en Chino" XD so my cousin and I were wondering maybe in some distant country people think spanish is a difficult language and say something like that. In German I read a phrase (I can't remember) that translates to "it's all Greek to me" but using the word "Spanisch" instead. Could someone clear this up for me?
Thanks n_n
by kisa_chan
  • basje

Identifying UK accent

Dear linguaphiles, I have a question which has been bugging me for a while. I'm curious to know where UK [presentor?] Russell Brand's accent is from, if it's identifiable? I recognize a glottal stop but I can't tie it to any area in specific.

If you want to hear an example, here is a youtube clip, scroll on to around 1:30. Any help would be appreciated!
actions: writing

Resource for Fiction Writers: British Grammars

Hey guys.

I wondering what style guide(s) the British English writers use as reference. Specifically, I want a guide specific for fiction and published books rather than magazines. In America, most editors for published fiction use the Chicago Manual, and of course there are other guides depending on the magazine (Associated Press, Wired, New York Times). And I know that Britain has the same sort of separation, using BBC, Guardian, or Economist for newspapers and magazines.

But what do fiction writers and publishing houses use as their standard?

So... style guides for fiction using British usages. Cambridge? Oxford? Penguin? Something else? Which would you recommend? I want my British-based stories to conform more to a British-based style—not I-need-to-pass-my-GCEs style, but actual published narrative style.

Again, I realize this may be another cultural difference between America and Britain rather than between BE (or IE) and AE. In AE, a grammar book that many would recommend are for general writing, completely prescriptive and designed for high-schoolers or academic writing. But some books geared towards narratives and fiction realize that there are punctuation rules (for example) that get ignored in published fiction for whatever reason.

An example: Do not separate a list with a comma if it already uses conjunctions ("He was tall and wide and imposing")—that's a prescriptive rule. But fiction-focused style guides allow for "He was tall, and wide, and imposing" if the intent is to add weight and drama to each attribute, thus combining standard comma rules with the old-school punctuation-as-pause rule; this is more a descriptivist's view on English grammar.

So if you know any style guides for British English that are geared for published fiction writing (not journalism), I'd be eternally thankful if you could post them.

Thanks, everyone!



I was watching Jeeves and Wooster on YouTube, and somebody left a comment on the way the actors did the American accents... they described more to an American accent 'than just rhoticizing the 'r's and adopting a nasal onglide'. Can someone point me to a definition of an onglide? Is it the same as a glide?

Weird question

Hi everyone!
The question I've got for you today might seem a bit strange, but I really don't know whom else to ask: I have to write a letter to a man who happens to be a reverend. How should I address him?
Would just "Dear Sir" be Ok in this case, or should it be something different?
Thanks in advance.