mavisol (mavisol) wrote in linguaphiles,

How do you call...

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

Those are both staples. In the first set, they are strips of staples.
Amazing how some folks believe that instead of consulting a dictionary it is easier to post a question to 2000 people.
Perhaps the OP wants to know the word(s) in many different, but unspecified, languages. Often enough, people here do that without having any goal beyond learning several different words for a thing. Most dictionaries won't be much help in a case like that.

I thought we left behind the confrontational use-a-dictionary-to-learn-new-languages comments when that crocodile person left us.
> Often enough, people here do that without having any goal beyond learning several different words for a thing.

Well, this is not one of those cases, trust me.
Ah, well, I don't know the person, so I can't comment on what their motive might have been. And yet, had I assumed the question was do to laziness, I would have expected to be chastised for responding in a way that could easily be perceived as passive-aggressive and/or rude.

So, (I hope) I would have simply shaken my head, ignored their post, and hoped that everyone else would ignore it too. I can' t guarantee that I would have kept my head down, but I hope so. I wouldn't want to be compared to the crocodile person.
Frankly, I don't think most dictionaries distinguish between staples used in paper and those used in construction.
So what? If in doubt, google images for "staples", and the answer to the question becomes immediately clear. She does know how to google in Russian, and all Russian-English dictionaries immediately suggest "staple" as a translation for "скрепка".
It's not possible to develop a conversation with a dictionary. This is a community.
Exactly. Why nitpick. I like seeing what other people posts, It is not like we have an over abundance of posts here so that it would be a problem.
Indeed! As a native English speaker never having learned much about construction, I didn't have a word for the item in the second two pictures. Now I know they are called wood staples. So, in addition to the OP's question being answered, the rest of us can also learn something new.
Both are staples. In English the word "staple" usually calls to mind the former, the one used on paper. So if you wanted to differentiate between the two, you would simply say "staples" when talking about the first one and you could say "wood staples" or "staples used in construction" when talking about the second.
1. staples

2. heavy-duty staples? I have never seen the second item in use.
In English I'd say "staples" for both.

In Spanish, from Argentina myself, both are "grapas"... I'm more likely to call the first "ganchitos" or "ganchitos para abrochadora" so as not to confuse them with paper clips, though. I just checked a box (1) I had on my desk and it says "broches"...
1) staples

2) I have no word for that. I don't know what they are.


July 16 2014, 21:53:53 UTC 2 years ago Edited:  July 16 2014, 21:58:09 UTC

Heftklammer (german)
and Klammer.